Recent Post -  Patmos Garden From the Archives Desert Island Discs

Saturday 2 November 2013

POETRY: Reason & Love by Alexander Pushkin

Young Daphnis, chasing Chloe, cried:
"My beauty, wait! Don't run away!
Just say: I love you - don't go hide,
I swear by Venus, I won't stay!"
"Be silent!  Reason coldly said;
"Say: I adore you!" Eros replied.

"Adore you!" sang the maiden sweet,
And love set both their hearts ablaze,
And Daphnis fell before her feet,
And Chloe dropped her flaming gaze,
"Oh flee! O flee!" cold Reason cried.
While crfaty Eros "Stay!" replied.

She stayed,  And, trembling with his love,
The happy shepherd made his plea:
"O look, he said, "that downy dove
Has kissed his mate beneath the tree!"
"Oh flee!" cried reason once again;
"They'll show you how!" said Eros then.

No comments:

Post a Comment

SABBATICAL; BOOKS